Saturday, December 1, 2012

Movie Review: Rise of the Guardians

Not to be mistaken with the owl movie "Legend of the Guardians" - *ahem* David Guison *ahem* LOL - "Rise of the Guardians" is based on a very simple yet absolutely brilliant premise: what if the most important fictional characters of our childhood all knew each other and came together Avengers-style to save kids from darkness?



Introducing: Sandman, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost!



I'll be the first to admit that the movie versions aren't anything like what I imagined them to look like when I was a kid. For starters, Santa Claus did not have the accent that he had in the movie. Secondly, The Sandman looked more like Neil Patrick Harris when he was still Doogie Howser M.D. in my head.

But hey, Jack Frost was so hot and the baby tooth fairies were so adorable, it was hard to be bothered by the little details. :p I want a baby tooth for Christmas, please!



It helps that they got the perfect line-up of actors to voice these characters, as well: Chris Pine of Star Trek fame as Jack Frost, Alec Baldwin as Santa Claus, Australian Hugh Jackman as the Easter Kangaroo Bunny, the adorable Isla Fisher as Tooth Fairy, and the sexy Jude Law as Pitch Black.

Another thing that I loved about the movie is that they poked fun at the conventional bits of each character and gave new meaning to everything that I thought I knew about the characters as a child. Heck, the elves in themselves were well worth the movie money!



Despite them "ruining" my childhood (okay... maybe "changing" would be a better term), the creativity and imagination that went into the storyline and the CGI graphics were so good, I didn't complain once. :)

Overall, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5. I'm actually planning on going for a Round 2 - it was that good! I also plan on reading the books on which the movie was based. Has anyone read them yet? Were they awesome, too? :)

Although "Rise of the Guardians" technically doesn't give the audience anything "new", it does cover old ground in a whole new way. It was enjoyable and heartfelt and definitely way up there in my list of must-watch family movies of the year - right alongside "Wreck-It Ralph". Go and watch it! :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I got a movie copy just yesterday. I will watch it after my lunch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent watched this yet :( gonna catch up real soon after i'm done with all my tests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of the people who mistook this movie to be a sequel to the Legend of the Guardians movie. Hahaha I know. I'm so embarrassed. My sister laughed at me when she found out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sooooo love that movie haha ang cute ni sandy at ang cool ni jack haha well literally
    haha naiba din tingin ko kay santa aka north

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to watch this last weekend but we were too lazy to go out.hehe. :P


    http://www.dekaphobe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this movie!!! and the elves are my favorite. my bf likes the Sandman cause he looks cute/mysterious and powerful. as a children's movie, im rating it 5/5 :D

    ReplyDelete