Monday, April 30, 2012

Movie Review: The Avengers

In case my blog name and layout don't scream it enough: I AM A COMIC BOOK GEEK. DC. Marvel. Vertigo. Scott Pilgrim. Archies. Death Note. You name it. I like it. Most of the time, anyway. So, it should come as no surprise that The Avengers made me jizz in my pants. All the way through.



I'll be completely honest. I wasn't jumping up and down when "The Avengers" came out. I didn't even watch the midnight showing like I usually would. In fact, I dreaded it. Why? I was worried that there were too many characters and that there wouldn't be enough character development. I was also depressed because my favorite Avengers line-up is the original one (read: with Ant-Man and Wasp) and that wasn't the way the movie was going.

Also, although the first Iron Man movie, the second Hulk movie and the Thor movie were all amazing, I didn't like the others. And I still haven't even seen the Captain America movie. Why? Coz I always thought Captain America was the lamer version of Superman. And let's face it: since I'm Wonder Woman, DC always wins over Marvel in my head.

I did watch The Avengers, though. For one reason: Jeremy Renner.

By the end of the movie, though, I had completely forgotten about him. Let me break the awesomeness down for you (through a very long blog post):

In a nutshell, Nick Fury brings The Avengers together to battle Loki and his army. Are you already lost? Then don't bother reading this post...


Captain America

via Zimbio

As mentioned earlier, I haven't seen his movie. But I will very soon - don't you fret. After all, he is officially my favorite Avenger.

Why He Rocks: He dresses well (see above). He's a gentleman. He says "ma'am". He's all about the Superman / Wonder Woman colors. He's got the most beautiful V-shaped back that I have ever seen on a man. And he's prolly the only other character that I liked Chris Evans play aside from his role in "What's Your Number".


Black Widow: "They're from Asgaard. They're practically gods."
Capt. America: "There is only one God, ma'am. And he doesn't dress like that."

BOOM. Heart melts.

The Hulk


I still think I would have preferred to see Joaquin Phoenix as The Hulk, but Mark Ruffalo definitely didn't let me down. After the epic fail of a Hulk aka Eric Bana and after the awesomeness of Edward Norton, I had my doubts. But Mark Ruffalo looked the part. And he played it well.

Why He Rocks: Mark Ruffalo plays Bruce Banner/The Hulk so effortlessly, it's like he's not acting at all. What really won me over, though? His puppy dog eyes. They were exactly what The Hulk needed, I feel, to make him more human. Also, he destroyed all those Asgaard army shits like they were mere ants. Boo. Ya.


Loki: "I am a God! I am not going to be bullied by a..."
Hulk: *throws Loki around* "...puny god."


Iron Man


Of course, most of the wit in this movie comes from Tony Stark and, as usual, he overdoes it sometimes. But I've come to accept that that's just the way he is. Plus, I can't hate him coz he's Marvel's Batman aka the rich kid.

Why He Rocks: He provides all the wit. And that machinery he uses to undress? Every fashion blogger's dream. Also, he's very much like me. He's spoiled. He doesn't really think things through. He's self-centered. Things that most people hate, basically.


Iron Man (to Thor): "What is this? Shakespeare in the park? Doth thou mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Thor and Loki


Sadly, although Thor and Loki are both awesome in "Thor", they aren't very awesome in this one. Loki's got some serious Snape-oiled hair going on, for some reason, and Thor simply isn't as witty, hot or amusing as he is in "Thor". Made me wish I had a Capt. America shield with me instead of Mjulnir. Coz, yes, I brought Mjulnir with me to the movie.

Thor: "Listen closely to me, brother..."
*Thor gets knocked over by Iron Man*
Loki: "...I'm listening."

Black Widow and Hawkeye


Now, I know that I watched this movie for Jeremy Renner, but I'm sorry. He was, as Iron Man put it, just another Legolas in this movie. Let me just say: him not being in the trailer so much makes sense now. Scarlett Johanssen rocked in her fight sequence in the beginning, though.



Overall, though, the movie was incredibly kick-ass. There wasn't a single dull moment and even the 3-D effects were kinda cool. 

Aside from the script and the humor linked to Marvel movies, another thing I love about them is the Stan Lee cameos and the after credits. I look forward to them every single time and they never fail to make me smile.

As for the direction, Joss Whedon does an amaaazing job. I love the mirror shots and how different the direction of the final epic battle scene was compared to the rest of the movie. Let me just say: I cannot wait to see this in IMAX. If I have to go alone, I will.

I'm so happy this movie exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be impossible to pull off, so: Joss Whedon - four for you, Glen Coco. You go, Glen Coco.

It still doesn't beat my favorite superhero movies of all time (i.e. the very first "Superman" movie and "Watchmen"), but definitely worth the money. Five popcorns out of five. Go see it NOW!!! :)

11 comments:

  1. Yup I agree with u....
    Too many super heroes n less concentration each of them....
    I feel tat d show kinda slow....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the movie, I was afraid na maging panget sya. Unang Iron Man movie pa lang they were already hinting it and that was eons ago.

    I can't wait for the next Avengers movie (Thanos!)

    Oh, oh, and I wish the make a movie of marvel Civil War. Kahit 4-part series :P

    (Yes, I know, I don't look like the type in my blog, but I am a geek too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like comic books but movies not so much! i don't know why :x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to see this! Thanks for your comment about me and ms. Jolie, she is my idol so you made me very happy!

    --Izumi
    HYBRID HUNTER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing this on friday whoooo so excited!! :D Thanks for the comment I ADORE WONDER WOMAN TOO <3333 And to answer your question I found the swimsuit on http://www.hottopic.com but I've also seen it in Hot Topic and Spencer's stores. Unfortunately none of the sizes will fit my chest :(( So you must buy it and wear it in my place!! :DD Going to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So am I the only one who did not like it? Hahahaha! Oh God, I am so different.

    http://iifatree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this movie :D and all the funny parts u said were so funny XD
    @vallarfax, im also thinking that they made it too funny..its not that i dislike it but i kinda think they missed that Cool-Classic-Feel-Action, into the movie..i felt like the movie title should be "Invasion" i just feel like something is missing...maybe story telling and details?

    ReplyDelete
  8. sadly most women in my country only watched this to see Captain Americas delicious body...i mean they dont appreciate Marvel, they r just watching it for this guy, and they dont even know his character in Marvel..or anything abt the stories damn. they just know that his so adorable. i get that his adorable but pls respect the character and marvel at least T^T

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love watchmen too :) looking forward for the next Marvel movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stumbled across your blog trying to find the Capt. America quote, which I liked as well. Nice review, and like you, I liked this movie. Go see it, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete