Monday, March 4, 2013

Movie Review: Jack the Giant Slayer

Thanks to Nuffnang and PLDT My DSL, I was able to watch a block screening of Jack the Giant Slayer at Resorts World last weekend. To my surprise, I won as one of the top three best blogs for this post. Woot! Haha. :)



via IMDB

Anyway, I'm gonna be perfectly honest: Jack the Giant Slayer didn't win me over at first. In fact, it took about 65 minutes or so until I found myself liking the movie. So, if you don't have the patience to sit through a grueling, semi-try-hard and unconvincing first 65 minutes, then you might want to pass on this movie altogether.

I was initially excited for Jack the Giant Slayer for various reasons.

For starters, there was the cast. I have been in love with Ewan McGregor since Moulin Rouge and I have been in love with Nicholas Hoult since his Tony Stonem days. And, let's face it, Nicholas Hoult doesn't make bad movies. Still fresh from Warm Bodies, I was more than excited to see and hear him in his element of Britishness all over again.



And then there's the fact that I love seeing new takes on fairytales. It must be the cynic in me, but I prefer the gruesome endings of fairytales so much more than the happily-ever-after Disney endings; so I was interested in seeing what Jack would have to offer in that department.


via Film


Unfortunately, Jack the Giant Slayer is a kids' movie more than anything else. The plot is predictable, what's meant to be funny isn't that funny, and - the most horrific part of all - Nicholas Hoult and that chick who plays his love interest (I don't even remember her name in the movie. How sad is that?) have no spark!!!



It doesn't help that Ewan McGregor's hair makes him look like a douche and that the main giant is voiced by Bill Nighy... again. All I could picture in my head was a face full of tentacles the entire time.



Things do get better by the time the huge battle enters the scene, though. But then again, that might just be because of my love for huge battle scenes. It's hard to tell. I'm incredibly confused by how I'm supposed to feel about this movie, so I'll give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

Don't get me wrong. It's a fun movie to watch with the family and the barkada, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I don't even understand why it's called "Jack the Giant Slayer" to begin with because Jack doesn't actually slay a lot of giants in it... Hmm.

Have you seen Jack the Giant Slayer yet? What did you think of it? Do let me know. :)

5 comments:

  1. I had a feeling it was meant for younger audiences because it wasn't too brutal, there's no blood and the giants were a bit sketchy for me. But I loved the battle scene! That's the epic part. Haha! I agree! He didn't slay that much giants. I thought it would focus a lot on Jack slaying some giants. But I loved the 3D! (as usual) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a dumb, loud, action-y, but fun movie, this is your pick. If you want an Oscar movie, check out Argo or Lincoln. Good review.

    ReplyDelete