Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

If you have read my book review on "The Hunger Games", then you should know that I absolutely loved it. You should also know that I had my reservations when it came to the movie, especially when it came to the cast and the love story.

Well, I take it all back.


Last night, I was lucky enough to watch an early screening of "The Hunger Games" with Krissy Cruz of Krissyfied in SM North. And even though I live in the South, the commute was well worth it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the movie version of "The Hunger Games". Okay, that's an exaggeration. I wasn't entirely sure whether the movie was actually working for me until Katniss and Peeta got to the Capitol (aside from the Reaping scene, where I bawled my eyes out like an insane person), and to say that I was incredibly effing disappointed with the dogs is a very mild way of putting it.

However, once they did get to the Capitol, the movie did no more wrong in my eyes. Will you like the movie if you didn't read the book? Honestly? Probably not. So make sure you read it before you go watch it in the cinemas. IT IS WORTH THE READ. TRUST ME.


Now, my biggest problem with books-turned-movies is that they never really stay true to the books. Well, to be perfectly honest, though, neither does "The Hunger Games". At all. A lot of the scenes, dialogue and character traits were left out or completely changed. But... I can't explain it... It just works.

I had my doubts about the casting of Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, for example. Well, in my defense, Josh Hutcherson as book-Peeta really doesn't work. But Josh Hutcherson as movie-Peeta? OH MY GOD. MOVIE-PEETA JOSH HUTCHERSON, COME INTO MY ARMS WITH YOUR DIMPLED CHIN, PLEASE. TEAM PEETA ALL THE WAY!!!

via Moviespad

And remember how I said I hope they don't turn the movie into a sappy love story? Well, they kinda did. And I didn't even care. In fact, I actually liked loved it. This movie is to me what "Twilight" is to the Twi-hards out there, I've decided.

Granted, the character and relationship developments kinda sucked in the movie and you don't really know what Katniss is thinking or feeling every second of the way like in the book, but it completely works in the love story aspect of it all and they cleverly worked in some of the television segments to help non-readers understand the storyline more.

Crap. I'm just babbling now. Mostly coz I just can't explain the movie to you guys right now because I know half of you haven't read the book yet and the other half of you don't want spoilers.

So, you know what? I'll just leave you with tips on what to do during the movie instead:

1. Bring a lot of tissues. It is an absolute cryfest! Even more so than the book. In fact, there's an added District 11 scene that wasn't in the book that made me cry for the entirety of it.

2. Do not drink anything during the movie. I cannot stress this enough. Since I'm a superhero, I was able to pull a Flash and take a 2-second restroom break after drinking my milk tea, but I doubt anyone else would be able to pull that off. On that note, pee before you go in, too.

3. Read the book. If you don't read it, you won't appreciate it as much. And then we won't be able to talk about it. I want to be able to talk about it. So please read it. And then watch the movie. And then we can talk. :)

4. Wear a mockingjay pin. Wear leather. Braid your hair. Set your clothes on fire. Do something Hunger Games-ish. I really regret not doing that last night.

5. STAY AWAY FROM PEETA. He's mine. Ahem.

Alright. It's 5am and all I've done is stalk Josh Hutcherson on the Internet, so I'm off to work for a change. Let me know when you've seen the movie. I need fellow Tributes to talk to. ;)

21 comments:

  1. It's always like this: books are much better than movies because you create your own characters while reading...
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Bloglovin'
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweety :) I pixelate my face because I don´t want to be recognized, I want to show my style not who I am... I don´t have a big reason is just this :) I hope you don´t mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know absolutely nothing about the hunger games but the buzz has been incredible. It sounds like this is a great movie, the reviews have been really good in the US as well...I've gotta read the book before I see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I volunteer as a Tribute! :)

    Crap, I have to wait until this weekend to watch it. But I'm sooooo excited!

    I, too, had doubts about Josh Hutcherson casted as Peeta. But after reading your review, I'm having second thoughts. Team Peeta! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I the only one who have not read/watched the Hunger Games? :P My cousin has a copy of the book, I might as well borrow it from her and read it first before watching the movie. :P Haha. Thank you for sharing this! Now, I'm interested to read the book and to watch the movie. :)

    -- Jen of http://so-fabulous.info

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! Now I really want to watch it even if I haven't finished reading the book!

    and btw, ang kulit lang ng:

    "Since I'm a superhero, I was able to pull a Flash and take a 2-second restroom break after drinking my milk tea, but I doubt anyone else would be able to pull that off."

    "Wear a mockingjay pin. Wear leather. Braid your hair. Set your clothes on fire."

    "STAY AWAY FROM PEETA. He's mine. Ahem."

    And yes, ang sarap mong i-quote! :))

    Mica
    http://smizingmica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know anything about Hunger Games and I didn't read any review or trailer before watching the movie and liked it.

    For me, it's like gladiator-slash-survivor.

    The movie made me want to read the books. Sobrang dami ko nang pending books to read but I'm moving this up the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HATE watching a movie before reading the books! I always find the books much better than the movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to see the movie on Saturday but I do like spoiling myself so yes I read comments and reviews AND from how people have been commenting,(and cause I've just finished reading the book tonight) I've even just tweeted that I'm totes getting twilight vibes now :)) having mixed emotions tuloy if I like it or not..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watching the movie tomorrow! Haven't read the book yet though :( - must borrow my sister's copy.

    ♥Lia
    Madebylia.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha loved this! i'm going to see this tomorrow. Hunger games nail and gonna braid my hair ;) Can't wait.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is making me excited to watch the movie!!

    Love from the NaNa girls x

    ReplyDelete
  13. acck i haven't read nor watched the hunger games yet! shoot me now LOL!

    -Hazel
    http://dressmeupbuttercup.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems three quarters of the people who watched with me haven't read the book yet, but they appeared to enjoy it immensely. I myself liked the film as it is, but reading the book offered a far richer experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this review!

    "I wasn't entirely sure whether the movie was actually working for me until Katniss and Peeta got to the Capitol (aside from the Reaping scene, where I bawled my eyes out like an insane person), and to say that I was incredibly effing disappointed with the dogs is a very mild way of putting it."

    Haha, pareho tayo! I was actually squinting my eyes while watching to see the faces of the tribute pero wala talaga. :)) And I know this isn't really important, but why is Buttercup not orange. HAHAHAH I mean the poor cat barely even had a 10 sec screen time and then they get his color wrong! Wala lang minor and insignificant detail na napansin ko. =)) Aww, I also bawled my eyes during The reaping. D:

    Peeta will always be my favorite character in the series. ♥ And since you're claiming Peeta already, I'll just have Cato. Yeah, with a bloody face and all.♥

    Thanks by the way! It was nice meeting you yesterday! Even for a short time. I wanted to take a picture but I got shy na.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually saw the movie first then bought all three books. HAHA. I was sold kagad. :)

    Galing ng review. Saktong sakto! :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think they should put a focus on katniss-bread-peeta scene bec if I haven't read the book I won't really get what happen on that part ><

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh I'm glad you read the book and liked the movie! I cannot wait to see it! I'm going Wednesday and have been going crazy all weekend! lol

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.oliveandanarrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm totally behind...haven't even read the books, but plan to eventually.

    sometimes i wonder whether or not it's better to see the movie first, or read the books. the books have so much detail, that the movie sometimes leaves you disappointed??

    thanks for the review!
    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete