Sunday, March 18, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games

A lot of people have already tried to get me to read "The Hunger Games", but I never showed any interest in it. Why? Well, for one, it sounded like a complete rip-off of "Battle Royale", one of my favorite books in the entire universe. And second of all, the young adult genre is pretty down there on my list of book genres to devour. Right above chick lit, to be exact.

However, I am one of those stubborn people who refuses to watch a movie based on a book unless I've read the book first. So, when Krissy Cruz of I am Krissy bought tickets for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" on Wednesday, I practically ran to the bookstore and bought myself a copy right away.



Now, because of my latest major fail at trying to finish a book before the movie came out ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", anyone?), I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to finish this one before Wednesday.

But I finished it in 10 hours.

Yes. It is that good.

Although the story of "The Hunger Games" really does sound like a rip-off of "Battle Royale", it becomes quite clear early on in the book that it really isn't. After all, I was bawling like a baby by page 24 and the awesomely emo Taylor Swift song for the movie suddenly made sense to me.

Of course, there are still similarities between the two books. The storyline is pretty similar: kids are sent into a random arena to kill each other and some of the kids band together and work together to try and win. And, of course, both books are gripping, thrilling and incredibly nerve-racking.

But what makes these books so different from one another, I believe, is the fact that this one comes with an engaging yet subtle love story for sappy women like me young adults to enjoy. And oh, it wasn't banned anywhere, either. In fact, it was a New York Times bestseller.


I'm really, really, really, really, really, really hoping - DEAR GOD, PLEASE!!! - that the movie won't suck. I hate the "Battle Royale" movie. HATE it. So if this goes down that route or if they turn it into a sappy love story instead of a subtle one, I will be very angry. Rotten Tomatoes currently has it on 100%, though, so I'm keeping my hopes up. If it ends up being awesome, then I'm totally gonna order this to add to my movie memorabilia collection:

Yes. I have a collection of movie memorabilia. :D

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the cast members just yet, though. See, I feel that Josh Hutcherson fits the Gale role better, and Liam Hemsworth fits the Peeta role better. Hmm...

Anyway, while you're waiting for my movie review on Wednesday night, what did you think of the book? :) If you haven't read it yet... why haven't you?!??

18 comments:

  1. It seems to be an interestin book, I hope that the ovie won't disappoint you!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Bloglovin'
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love hunger games and i am looking forward to the movie cause the book was just so exciting and fast paced--i hope to see it come to life in the big screen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your book review about Hunger Games!! :) Haven't read that yet but because of this blog post, nage-expect ako bigtime in the movie! Haha! ♥ Really hope it's good!

    Arnie
    www.arnievillanueva.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I only read this book late last year. I am one of those people who refuse to join the bandwagon until I get overrun (happened to me with Harry Potter and tumblr). Anyway, I loved the book, too. I thought it was very kickass. I HATE the love story though. Hah. I can't wait for the movie. I love the fact that Lenny Kravitz, Woody Harrelson, and Stanley Tucci are in it. :P

    Battle Royale is also one of my favorites. I enjoyed the movie though. I love the book more, but I thought the movie was okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Hunger Games! :) I'm excited to watch the moview ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. having trouble with my comment box so here's my take on your previous entry :D
    "How should I call you? :) Wonderwoman? lol :) I love the film, "sound of music" :)  I've seen it like a thousand times with my sisters when we were still kids. Too bad I wasn't able to watch the theater version :( I'm happy to know though that it went well :)

    Thank you for the kind words about our plushies. If you're really interested to have a plushie of your own..maybe a customized wonder woman?.. haha.. you can visit our facebook page... www.facebook.com/popjunklove and just let us know what you like :D  nice to meet you wonderwoman"

    :D 
    Sorry..parang nobela na comment ko..hahaha
    anyway..i haven't watched a film that's at par with its book version..For you, I hope this isn't the case for Hunger Games! Enjoy Wonderwoman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haven't read it, read the synopsis and indeed sounds like 'Battle Royale', trailer looks like 'Tekken' to me, @_@ hope to read your movie review, i'm planning to watch it too next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, pretty much exactly with how I feel (except I loveee Josh Hutcherson as Peeta...he's dreamy *sigh*). My dad said he read that movie is supposed to follow dead on with the book, so fingers crossed. If they change anything or tone it down, I'm going to be devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. read the ebook already. i finished it in 3 days hehe unlike you for just 10 hours wow!. you must be really hook hehe.. cant wait for the movie to be showing in big screen!


    khyutee
    http://khyutee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. OHMYGOSH I LOVE MOVIE MEMORABILIA TOO!!! AND BOOKS ABOUT HOW THEY MADE THE MOVIES!!! Hahaha I love that we like a lot of the same things, this makes me even more excited for Wednesday! :D

    By the way, I haven't read Battle Royale yet but I've seen the movie. Borrow ng book? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg...I think i will HAVE to go get a copy myself now, haha! I was actually thinking about reading it a couple of days ago, but now I am 100% sure I will have to! Usually, I prefer the book, rather than the movie! :)
    Much love, Gabriele. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I read this book myself a pretty long while ago and I love it so much! I'm superexcited for the movie, gonna see it on monday probably
    Thanks for visiting!

    xoxo Sootjeelina <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there!
    Thank you so much for the comment. You should definitely check them out if you love beauty subscription services. They are pretty neat.

    I'm looking forward to the movie. I haven't read the books yet, but I just might purchase them. Looks interesting,.

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg! can't wait for the movie!!! sooooo excited!!! i wanna read the book but maybe after the movie na so i won't be disappointed..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I HAVE TO READ this book! The movie trailers are sooooo good! And everyone keeps telling me that I got to get my hands on it pronto!!!! Off to the bookstore now!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBitePlate.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gyaaaaa! I haven't finished reading it because I'm so busy with my review. But I still want to watch the movie. Hahaha.

    You finished it in 10 hours... Wow. :)

    http://smizingmica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Battle Royale, the book, not the movie. They even made a second movie, which sucked harder than the first. As for Hunger Games, I am not really sold. :( But I will have to finish the next two books first before I can judge it fairly. Every aspect of it seems like a rip-off to me. Even the wound Peeta got. I may be wrong, it's been 4 years since I last read Battle Royale, but hasn't the female lead (also forgot the name...Japanese names are hard to remember...) also got a wound on her calf? And I like that in Battle Royale, we were given an insight on every character's personality. I just think that The Hunger Games is the lame, Twilight-ish (in appeal and level of complexity and sophistication) version of Battle Royale.

    ReplyDelete