Monday, February 11, 2013

Catch Ballet Philippines' A Midsummer Night's Dream This Weekend!

What lil girl didn't dream of becoming a ballerina one day? Despite my rockstar look; I, too, dreamed of nothing less than being a ballerina. Preferably one with dark makeup like The Black Swan in Swan Lake, but a ballerina nonetheless.

As a lil girl, I also used to drown myself in the works of William Shakespeare. I remember my dad had a hardbound copy and I'd hide under the covers and read it with a flashlight. Now you know why I have such bad eyesight now. Lol.

Now you also know why I was more than excited to get a glimpse of what Ballet Philippines has to offer after their latest success Rama Hari: A Midsummer Night's Dream.


Ballet Philippines' A Midsummer NIght's Dream will only be running this Valentine's weekend (February 15 to 17) at the CCP Main Theater and Gerd and I were lucky enough to watch the ballet company rehearse some of the main scenes up close before catching the actual show this Friday:


This particular ballet adaptation of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is choreographed by Hong Kong-based award-winning Filipino choreographer Carlo Pacis who told us at the rehearsal that he is giving the ballet a whole new twist. "No cutesy fairies in this ballet," he says. Interesting since that is what I loved about the play to begin with. :p


Another interesting twist that Carlo will be adding is the personified flower. If you are as in-love with Shakespeare as I am, then you should know that the flower is merely a tool used in the play to cast magic on the different characters. Instead of just using a lil flower, though, Carlo has decided to create a whole new character out of it that Puck will be carrying around the stage throughout the performance:


I fell in love with her at first sight, and I'm sure you will, too. I can't wait to see the multimedia elements and full costumes of the show.

A Midsummer Night's Dream will run at the CCP Main Theater on February 15 at 3pm and 8pm, and on February 16 and 17 at 2pm and 6pm. Bulk and group sales are also available for schools, classes, organizations and corporations.

4 comments:

  1. Ang interesting nito! Nag midsum play batch namin nun grade 6 kami hahaha :D Ang cool lang nun flower na new character :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting :) Sayang wala dito sa manila mga little sisters ko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I used to want to do ballet when I was a little girl too, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete