Saturday, December 22, 2012

Movie Review: The Hobbit

I have an Elvish tattoo.

I think that statement in itself tells you what kind of person I am and why I simply couldn't wait for "The Hobbit" to show on the big screen.

When it did... OH. MY. GOD.



I watched "The Hobbit" in IMAX 3D, courtesy of my ever-supportive and understanding boyfriend, and despite the fact that it was almost three hours long, I loved it to bits.

Sure, it was a bit too long, as usual (they should have ended it when they all got out of the Misty Mountains, in my opinion), but there is nothing about it that I would change. But then again, this is coming from someone who watched the extended versions of all three LOTR movies, so maybe I'm just a geek who would never find fault in it either way. :p


What I Loved about the Movie


Yes, that is Peter Jackson.
Yes, he lost a ton of weight.
Yes, he looks pretty darned good.

As much as I love Guillermo del Toro and his work, I love that Peter Jackson ended up directing "The Hobbit" in the end. I think this is what ensured that the movie had the same look, feel and vibe as "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. :)


via Sci-Fi

As much as I love Elijah Wood as a hobbit, Martin Freeman really stole my heart as young Bilbo Baggins. I loved him in Sherlock Holmes, but I love him even more because of this. He is the perfect Bilbo Baggins and he is the ultimate highlight of the movie, even putting Gollum himself to shame.



My favorite part of "The Hobbit" book was the classic riddle sequence between Bilbo and Gollum and I am so happy that the movie did that bit justice. Gollum is always fun to watch, so this scene in itself was well worth the movie money!



The changes that they made to the movie were good, as well. I love that Frodo was in it and that Radagast actually made an appearance. I even loved the Pale Orc, Azog the Defiler and how they changed the story to (spoilers - highlight to read:) make it seem like Azog killed Thrain, even though it was Sauron who killed Thrain in the book. Azog was also killed in the book.


What I wasn't Too Sure about:



I'm not too sure how I feel about Thorin, though. He seems more like a human than a dwarf with his good looks reminiscent to Aragorn and Boromir. Hmm.



I'm also not too sure how I feel about the Goblin King. Is it me or does his chin look like... well... testicles? Watching it in 3D had me laughing in fits every time he showed up. You won't understand 'til you see it, so go see it. :p
True fans of "The Lord of the Rings" definitely shouldn't miss this movie. I actually think it's the best Middle Earth movie since "The Fellowship of the Ring". Non-fans may want to skip it. 4.5 stars out of 5... for geeky-me, anyway. Remember: I have an Elvish tattoo. *cough* biased *cough* :p

Have you seen it? What did you think of it? Do share! :)

2 comments:

  1. Cool review, we're pretty close in our opinions of this one, and you're right about the riddle scene - it was easily the best part of the film in my eyes.
    You say you have seen the extended editions of the LotR trilogy, but have you done an extended edition marathon? That is certainly worth doing if you have an odd 12 hours to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just saw this today (i'm so busy i missed a lot of movies last month), I'm not a fan actually but I find this movie really gooood! I should have watch it last month right after I read your review T_T I love Thorin! and Martin Freeman is really good in showing any emotion as he is as Watson :)

    ReplyDelete