Monday, July 30, 2012

DVD Review: The Vow by Magnavision

Do you believe in soul mates?

Let me start this review by saying that I hate chick flicks. One look at the cast, the cover, the title and the plot of "The Vow" and you will say - without a doubt - that it is a chick flick. Well, surprisingly, I liked loved this one.




Inspired by a true story, "The Vow" brings together epic elements from some of my favorite light-hearted movies.

Ala "50 First Dates", Paige (Rachel McAdams) wakes up from a coma not remembering who her husband Leo (Channing Tatum) is. Leo then struggles to help Paige recover her memory, but she refuses to leave the one world that she remembers behind: the world that she lived in 5 years ago - one that Leo wasn't a part of yet.

Ala "What Dreams May Come" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", though, "The Vow" proves that, if two people are meant to be together, they will end up together, no matter what. And although I would normally find this premise sappy/cheesy/unbelievable in other movies, the fact that this movie was actually inspired by a true story... Well, that just gives me hope.



There is only one word that I can use to properly describe "The Vow" and that is "heartbreaking". However, as much as my heart was breaking inside and although my T-shirt was drenched coz of my tears while watching it, I couldn't stop watching.

I found myself caring so much for the characters in the movie. I cried so much for the characters in the movie. And it made me want to see more and want to love more by the end of it.

I will admit that the reason why I suddenly felt the urge to watch this movie despite never having been interested in it before was my sudden desire interest in Channing Tatum. Unfortunately, his acting skills aren't that great in this, but Rachel McAdams totally makes up for it.



There's just something about Rachel McAdams that makes you smile when she smiles, cry when she cries, feel frustrated when she feels frustrated and want to jump Channing when she wants to jump Channing. And because of her, this movie became what it is: amazing. (Think: "The Notebook".)



Now, I'm not saying that you should all go out there and buy this movie. I admit that not everybody will like it as much as I did. But if you love Nicholas Sparks movies, are a closet hopeless romantic like me, or love tear-jerkers, then you should definitely get a copy of this at your nearest Astroplus or Odyssey branch. Massive thanks to Magnavision for mine! :)

There are also various special features on this Magnavision DVD, including commentary, featurettes, deleted scenes and a gag reel, but nothing really worth jumping up and down for. If you're going to get this movie, get it for the movie, not for the special features.


Don't forget to like Magnavision on Facebook and follow them on Twitter! :)

Have you seen "The Vow"? What did you think of it? I'd love to know! :)

13 comments:

  1. I love this movie too. Yes, it reminded me of 50 first dates. Added factor that it's a true story. I love Rachel McAdams since mean girls. And you forgot Channing's topless scene. Will definitely look for that photo :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie too. Yes, it reminded me of 50 first dates. Added factor that it is a true story. And I love Rachel McAdams since mean girls. Plus factor of the movie? Channing's topless scene..will definitely look for that photo :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this movie, although it reminds me so much of The Notebook (which will forever be my favorite love story), this movie also made me cry buckets of tears. Lol. I honestly dont care much about Channing's acting skills, basta magpaka-gwapo lang sya hahahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved this movie toooo.... rachel mcadams magalign tlga pagganitong genre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy in my hard drive but I haven't watched it yet. :\ Will watch na nga. Thanks for this!

    http://www.dekaphobe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. gonna look for a copy of this.. thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love anything with Channing Tatum, haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really really love how the movie ended...unlike usual chick flicks, this one seemed more realistic..I guess because it was based nga on a true story. The "being realistic" part makes us all want to believe as well..in love..in destiny..in dreams. You're destined to do something and you will do it eventually. There's just no stopping it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haven't watched it yet.. but it is on my must-watch list.. I really love chick flicks but they tend to be too corny and unrealistic unlike this one.. :D


    Cheers~!

    - Justin -
    The World According To Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love/hate these sappy tear-jerkers...because I hate crying, lol! By the sound of this, I can tell I'll be needing a box of Kleenex!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we watched it when it came out on theater valentines day. can it get cheesier than that? the guys in the theater were very much affected at some of the scenes. their comments made it hard to cry though. spoiled the tissue-grabbing mood.

    ReplyDelete