Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Movie Review: The Witness

When I heard that my good friend Gwen Zamora was cast in the lead role of an international movie called "The Witness", it immediately became the topic of conversation everywhere I went.

You can't really blame me. I'm not really into the "local scene", as I call it. Heck, I don't even have cable television, so I've only actually seen Gwen once on Party Pilipinas, once on Bubble Gang and once on the big screen for "Si Agimat at Si Enteng Kabisote". And let's face it: a tagalog movie without subtitles + me = a little lost.


So, when I found out that she would be in an Indonesian movie that was mostly in English and had subtitles, I just could not wait for it to come out.

Well, at Resorts World on Monday night, the 19th of March, 2012, I was finally able to watch the premiere of "The Witness" along with my friend JC Ramos and a slew of other people who came to support the actors and moviemakers on their big night.


"The Witness" starts off with just the right amount of intensity and it grips you right from the very first scene. It makes you question what is going on. It makes you wonder what the movie is going to be about. It makes you want to find out more about it. And all this is thanks to the brilliant director of the movie, Muhammad Yusuf.

After that first scene, the intense killing scenes begin, followed by an even more intense chase scene. And then things die down.

The next half an hour after that are filled with more - for lack of a better word - mindfuck scenes (and I mean that in the best way possible - think Christian Bale movies like "The Machinist" and "American Psycho"!) before things pick up again and the twist begins to unfold.

Most people will probably not be able to guess the twist, to be honest, but with JC and I being such awesome movie addicts, we pieced things together before the end. :) Woot!


I have one thing to say: Indonesians definitely know how to make movies. Everybody in the movie house was seriously screaming and sitting at the edge of their seats during the most intense scenes. I really hope that the Philippines collaborates with them more - especially for movies like this. Pang-Hollywood talaga ang dating!

Naturally, it has to be said that Gwen was simply amazing in this movie, as well - and I am not just saying that because she's my friend and I love her, either. Don't believe me? Then just check out the trailer, which is sure to leave you emotionally drained in itself:



What do you think? Intense, huh? I promise you: this movie is nothing like you have ever seen in Pinoy cinema before. You need to watch it.

"The Witness" starts showing in cinemas nationwide today, the 21st of March, 2012, so make sure you head for the nearest cinema to watch it! :)

For now, you can like The Witness on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my :) I envy you.. you posts blog entries almost daily! Yay! don't forget to email me wonderwoman :D the fate of your plushie depends on it! haha :)

    gosh..so many scary stuff..in one blog post, I read about zombies..then here..a horror film. haha. I'm definitely a screamer. Even if the horror movie that's more funny than scary, I still find myself screaming at some point.

    Hayayay :)
    nice review angeline :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *is more funny than scary.. :D

    my email-- popjunklove@yahoo.com :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like the PERFECT movie for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. finally, a movie review! i've been waiting for this since my bf and i was planning to watch it :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOA....I just watched the trailer and this looks like a really good movie. I am wondering how I can get my hands on it, because this is the type of movies I def like to watch. The house they're shooting in is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asian Horror Movies are usually really scary, that's why I don't watch them.hahaha. But I'd recommend this to my friends. :)

    http://www.dekaphobe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story is great! I will watch it for sure...

    sweetandspicytown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really intense! :-O Dun pa lang sa photo via Pinoy Movie Blogger, napa-OMG ako! Hahaha nakaka-curious, kaya would love to watch this soon! :) And btw, cuuute mo dun sa "a tagalog movie without subtitles + me = a little lost" ♥♥ Idk why! :))

    Arnie
    www.arnievillanueva.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had goosebumps watching the trailer. Such an intense movie, i would love to watch the movie soon.

    Dianne
    georgeousdk.blogpot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow thanks for sharing..another Filipino pride..=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks really good! I'll definitely check it out.

    Nix

    ReplyDelete
  12. whoa, it looks exciting, im gonna check it out as well. congratulations to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds really interesting!!

    DONT MISS GOLD PLATED CHARM BRACELET Worldwide giveaway
    http://fashionistaera.blogspot.com/2012/03/petite-delights-charmed-bracelet.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey! thank you so much for your comment! :D

    G

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice words! Will add this to my movie list ^^


    Almira :)
    numbertwohere

    ReplyDelete