Friday, December 9, 2011

Movie Review: New Year's Eve

I know, right? Me? Choose to watch a rom-com when there's something with potentially half-naked men slicing each other's throats showing at the same time (i.e. "Immortals")?

Well, I have a good excuse. "Immortals" was rated R-13. And, well, I had Syrena in tow, so it was either "New Year's Eve" (read: some much-needed Zac Efron goodness in my life - c'mon, I named my BlackBerry Troy for a reason!) or "The Adventures of Tin-Tin". S already saw Tin-Tin with her grandparents, though, so my love for Zac Efron won by default. Woot!


Now, if you're expecting me to gush and be all like "OMG, it's such a sweet movie. You need to see it now." then I'm sorry. I'm not really a rom-com girl. Not unless it's more com than rom anyway. So, I didn't actually even know who else was in this movie aside from Zac Efron because when trailers like this usually show up in the cinemas, I tweet. Or get up to pee.


So, I must admit: I literally SCREAMED (the old lady next to me almost had a heart attack) when Bon Jovi first appeared on the screen.

I'm sorry, but... y'all know I'm a sucker for singers. And Bon Jovi is literally the only singer I would kill to see perform. BON JOVI IS EPIC to a degree that not even Lord of the Rings can aspire to. Disagree and you will be the person I kill to see him perform.


On that note, the only really good thing about this movie is the cast. They've got Michelle Pfeiffer who, for the first time since she turned over-45, didn't make me go, "Man, I wanna look like her when I'm over-45." It was also the first time I was grossed out watching her kiss a younger man. Oh. Was I supposed to say "Spoiler alert?" Whoopsies!


On the flip side, it was also nice to see Zac Efron in a setting that wasn't too musical-y. Though he did still sing in this. He's adorbs. I love him!

via Zimbio

Now, although Michelle Pfeiffer is kind of gross and not MILF-like in this, mommies like me are still going to love this movie because 1) Jessica Biel tries to induce labor in it (admit it: we've all gone through great lengths to induce labor... I channeled some Rachel in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. myself back in the day!) and 2) Sarah Jessica Parker channels some Carrie Bradshaw towards the end and runs in heels like she used to in the good old days. And in a stunning dress to match.


And that kid next to her? That's Abigail Breslin. Yes, that's Little Miss Sunshine herself. Don't you just hate it when child stars grow up? It's so unnatural and painful to see.

And OMG. Common was in this, too. I know I always say I hate hip hop music and can't stand it unless I'm drunk and really wanna dance and make out with the world, but I love Common. Old school hip hop is awesome. I highly recommend you download buy his music. Try Atmosphere, too.

And oh, Hilary Swank, Robert De Niro, Halle Berry, Alyssa Milano, Katherine Heigl, Sofia Vergara, Russell Peters, Ashton Kutcher, Til Schweiger (Deutschland, represent!) and Carla Gugino are all in this, too. So is that chick with the huge nose from Glee.

Aside from that, another great thing about the movie is that it's set in New York. And who doesn't love New York?

It also celebrates hope and fresh starts - things I always look forward to but never really get every New Year. (Yeah. Thanks for reminding me of my failed fresh starts, movie. Psh.)

Overall rating: 2 stars out of 5.

It wasn't painfully unbearable like its predecessor "Valentine's Day" was (mostly thanks to Bon Jovi and Zac Efron), but it wasn't amazing, either. It's nice to watch once, I guess. Especially if you can't sneak your one-year-old into "Immortals" with you. Syrena loved it! Babies. Go figure.

5 comments:

  1. It looks nice from the movie poster but is it more like the Valentines Day the movie? I guess Zac Efron is into mature films already. Will try to watch this one. Bon Jovi is epic! =) take care!

    Krystal
    http://krystalpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showing na pala sha? :)) Was Lea Michele (Glee) good ba? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha we're the same, it's either I tweet or pee when trailers show up before the movie! Lol and goodness, I looove Zac Efron, too!! :-O Thanks for this review, Angel!! ♥

    Join my ASIAN VOGUE GIVEAWAY!
    Join my FAB MANILA GIVEAWAY!

    Xoxo,
    Arnie
    http://arnievillanueva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete