Thursday, September 8, 2011

Movie Review: Fright Night


I know I promised I would watch this movie the day it came out, but hey, I was invited to the Mango F/W 2011 fashion show, okay. PRIORITIES. Give me a break! :p

Alright. So... I'm not a huge fan of remakes - and you can't really blame me. I mean, "Clash of the Titans"? "Superman"? Give me a break. But "Fright Night"? It really wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was pretty decent.

In a nutshell, "Fright Night" revolves around a teenager named Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin), who finds out his neighbor Jerry (Colin Farrell) is a vampire. Of course, nobody believes him, so he tries to enlist a 'vampire killer' (David Tennant) to help him fight Jerry off.


Now, I know that plot sounds like a horror movie gone wrong. Well, it's supposed to be. This isn't your regular horror-thriller movie, after all (as similar as the plot might sound to "Disturbia" - the 2007 movie with Shia LeBeouf in the lead, where he thinks his neighbor is a serial killer... yeah, that wasn't very original if you've seen the old "Fright Night"). "Fright Night" is meant to be a horror-comedy and, yes, that isn't easy to pull off. But it worked in this remake, mostly thanks to the cast.

The performances are great all around. Although I would have loved to see Russell Brand in the role of Peter Vincent instead, David Tennant does a good job of it. Anton Yelchin, who was great in both "Star Trek" and "Terminator: Salvation" anyway, does Charlie Brewster's role real justice, too. Some people don't understand how someone like him could bag a girl like Amy (Imogen Poots). But the only way I can really explain it is that he is exactly like Archie Andrews from the Archie comics. In fact, they should totally make an Archie movie and put him in it. (Movie-makers, I hope you read this blog.)

Colin Farrell, on the other hand, makes a great vampire - a refreshing role to see him in after seeing his horrible-looking character in "Horrible Bosses". Imogen Poots and Toni Collette are also well-cast, and it is quite refreshing to see Christopher Mintz-Plasse (aka McLovin') take on a role like Ed's. And Dave Franco!!! OMG. Dave Franco!!! *swoon*

via IGN.com

*ahem* So... Although a little dragging at first and although the dialogue and the CGI are a bit off at certain points, the movie does pick up about half an hour in and gets pretty effing good soon afterwards, so I had a great time watching it. I'm not even sure whether I like the old "Fright Night" better than this new one anymore.

In fact, I think the only thing I really hated about the new "Fright Night" is the fact that I'm going to have to start saying 'old Fright Night' and 'new Fright Night' when talking about the movies. But other than that, well done, remakers. Well done. And two thumbs up for the soundtrack and its "True Blood" feel.

Of course, I had no choice but to see this movie in 3D since they don't offer the regular 2D version in cinemas yet; but if you get the chance to choose, stick to 2D. Aside from blood spatters and vampires blowing up, there really isn't anything amazing about the 3D version (i.e. Colin's bod doesn't pop out of the screen or anything).


Now, if you haven't seen the original 1985 version, then you will probably enjoy this much more than I do. But hey, if you have seen the original 1985 version, then watch out for Chris Sarandon (the original Jerry). He makes a cameo in the film. :)

My official rating: 3.5 stars out of 5.

If you are interested in procuring a DVD of "Fright Night" (2011), then you will be happy to hear that Viva Video will be releasing it later this year. :) Unfortunately, they don't have the 1985 version available, though. :(

Thanks to Astroplus, OrangeMagazineTV and LG for sharing this info at the first Bloggers' Blowout at Astrovision, Greenbelt 5. :)















Have you seen this movie, too? What did you think of it? Let me know. :)

2 comments:

  1. wow. this is something fresh! a movie review! i have to agree with your blog post. not worth watching in 3d. but it's not a bad movie as well.

    btw, i guess you are not aware yet that there's an ARCHIE movie coming out. although i hope it wont be released because if you will see the trailer, they turned it into a dark movie and the cast are all fugly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I've actually seen that trailer! Don't worry. It was just a fan-trailer made for fun. If that movie was actually coming out, I'd go to Hollywood and rip everyone to shreds...! *ahem*

    ReplyDelete